The 2016 Health Informatics New Zealand Conference (HiNZ) is fast approaching and this year promises to be an exciting event. For the first time, the conference is being run in conjunction with Global Telehealth, Successes & Failures in Telehealth and the NZ Nursing Informatics Conferences, creating an all-encompassing week for those within the health industry.
This is the biggest ever HiNZ event with 220 speakers from 14 countries providing a diverse range of discussion topics for the week.
At the 2015 HiNZ event, we surveyed attendees to find out more information on the state of IS within the industry. This was a well-received survey with respondents providing useful insights into how projects are managed within their organisations.
Some of the key findings from the survey include:
- Nearly all respondents (91%) answered that reliability and patient safety were the most critical factors of their technology solutions.
- Only half of respondents (50%) say that they test applications and hardware before going live every time while a significant 18% said they only test ‘sometimes’
- When asked how they think their customers would rate the quality of their delivered solutions, 65% of respondents answered a lukewarm “manageable”!
This tells us that while the reliability and quality of technology solutions are rightly acknowledged as the most critical success factors for a project, that they aren’t receiving the attention that they require in order to ensure that these are delivered.
So, who is ultimately accountable for solution quality?
- 42% of respondents believe that ownership of technology projects, and technology quality sits predominantly with the business unit receiving the solution – not ICT
- A further 29% believe the ‘C suite’ CEO, CIO, CTO is accountable irrespective of the role they play within the project
At this year’s conference we will again be running a survey to further understand this gap within focus and delivery in the quality of projects. If you are attending the conference from the 31st October till the 3rd November, be sure to come and visit Qual IT and take part in our survey and go into the draw to win a Fitbit Alta.